Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Prayer Requests


Here is my list of prayer requests for each child of my group and even for my Translator.

Shakaiana (we nicknamed him Shaka) has lost his mom, but he lives with his mom, aunt, and sister. He was already a strong and well-versed Christian when he came to the camp. He is such a bright kid, but he told us that he doesn’t do very well in school. His teacher doesn’t seem to like Shaka and is unfairly giving him bad grades. We know it isn’t some story, because we’ve seen how smart he is! He answers every question and even tried to double as a translator for me sometimes. He’s eleven. Please pray for his teacher to soften on him, despite her own opinion, and give him the grades he deserves because he really wants to do well in school.

Eneles is a sweet little girl. She lost her mom when she was young and her dad left her family when Eneles was born. She lieves with her grandma and walked two kilometers everyday to camp. She became a Christian at camp. Please pray for her new life as a Christian and for her to not lose hope in her new eternal family and loving Heavenly Father. 

Velonica you’ve already heard about. Please prayer for her to concentrate better in school. She asked me that specifically. She also wants prayer for her when she goes to confession, because she’s Catholic, and she gets nervous in the confession box. Also, pray for her to smile and be joyful despite her sorrows. 

Enocent, oh wow Enocent, probably the sweetest and most lovable boy ever. When he smiles, he really does make you want to smile too. His father died when he was young and he also became a Christian at camp. Pray for him and the large family he lives with (mom, grandmom, aunt, and four brothers all in a small house probably meant for three or four people) Pray for him to continue smiling and doing well in school.

Ackson is the one I want to send to My Father’s House. Please pray that Momma (Margaret) gets to him soon and gets him into a home. Please pray the he soon has warmth and food and love. All the love he deserves, him and his little brother. Pray that his grandfather softens. If anything, pray that if his grandfather is about to beat him, that he will suddenly be subdued. Or that if isn’t able to finish his food and he has enough left that the children can have a meal. Pray for their salvation from their grandfather’s evilness. 

Richard lost his father when he was young and he got very upset and wouldn’t talk about it. He became a Christian at camp and pray that he finds every joy that he deserves. 

Yotamu (pronounced Yoh-tawm) has a difficult story. His mother was very young when she got pregnant with him. She was a rape victim and the rapist, his father, was sent away after the incident. His mom left Yotamu with her parents, his grandparents, because she couldn’t afford him. Yotamu’s grown accustomed to calling his grandparents Mom and Dad because that’s who’ve they’ve become to him. Pray that he continues to smile and he also became a Christian at camp, so pray for his new devotion to Jesus.

Alfred was already a Christian and is the son of our translator. His mother died when he was young and he lives with Leonard, our translator, and his step-mom, Leonard’s new wife. Pray for their happiness and prosperity.

Salomi is one of the sweetest little girls, I swear. I feel like I say it about every child, but everything I say is true. Her laugh brings me not happiness but joy. She laughs and smiles so easily, but she lost her dad when she was young. Pray that she continues to smile and that she has enough food and money for school.

Rolent was the first child that I converted to Christ. Pray for his new life with Christ and pray that his family has enough money and food.

Idah was so beautiful. She was the type of girl that you just know will be a looker when she grows up. She was so smart and funny too. She just wanted to be hugged and loved. She loved fooling me and Anna into thinking that she couldn’t speak English, but one day after lunch, she came up to us and asked, “Where’s the ball?”

“Oh, so you DO speak English!” Anna exclaimed.

Idah smiled, sheepishly. “Noooo.”

“How many sisters do you have?” Anna asked.

“Three.” Idah answered.

“Ah-hah!”

That was the funniest thing that happened with Idah. She was so sweet. She lost her dad and lives with seven people in her small house. She also became a Christian this week. She’s a star at Net Ball, which is a combination of Handball and Basketball. Pray that she does well in school and lives out every dream she has, her career wishes, her food and money hopes, and her school expectations. 

Nyembezi was a stone-strong-silent type of soul and never gave into a smile easily, but when you made her smile, you could just see her walls crack with every grin and every laugh. Her dad died and she lives with just her mom. Pray that she keeps her hope and she keeps her strength. 

Benson was such a little stud and he always made me laugh. He had this cute little round face and this big smirk on his face. He was always playing the class clown and he was always trying his best at everything. He lost his dad and lives with his mom, brother, and sister, who both came to camp. He asked for prayer for his family to have enough food to go around the family. He also asked for prayer for their money and income because they don’t always have enough for school. 

Royce I saved for last of the kids because she really touched my heart the most. She was the most adorable little girl and was my favorite. Whenever you looked over to see what she was drawing, she’d grin, embarrassed, and shy away from you giggling. She loved to jump around and sing and dance. She was so filled with joy that I never expected the one-on-one experienced we shared. She lost her mom when she was born and lives with her dad, step mom, and younger sister. I explained to her what being a Christian meant and what Jesus had done for her. I explained to her what being a part of God’s family meant and I had my arm around her while she prayed the sinner’s prayer. As I hugged her tighter, my eyes were closed as I had her repeat after me. Suddenly I began to feel water droplets on my wrist. I cracked one eye open when I heard her voice shudder and I realized that she was crying. She was still sobbing even after we said Amen. I hugged her tighter and she finally gave in and leaned into my shoulder, tears stained my sleeve, but I didn’t care. I asked her why she was crying. I asked her if she was happy or sad, very softly, and waited for Leonard to translate. When he didn’t I turned to see him in tears too. He quickly wiped them away and muttered, “S-Sorry, I…I was touched. I…I am touched.” We were all quiet for awhile before Leonard spoke up, saying, “I think she is crying because you have given her such love and such hope.”

And then I almost lost in. I sucked in a shallow breath to keep my secret tears from escaping and instead kissed Royce on the head. When she calmed down and we stood up, I didn’t even have to ask. She wrapped her arms around my middle and we walked like that all the back to the group. When she faced the other children and Anna, she started to smile, and I could tell in her eyes and in her laugh that she was so happy, she couldn’t cry any longer. 

Finally, I ask for prayer for my translator, Leonard. He is truly a godly man, but seven years ago, he was an alcoholic. He’s been clean for seven years and asked for prayer that he kept it up. See, in Zambia, bars are open 24/7. Men leave their family, leave the mothers and children, to go get drunk. They drink away all the money in attempt to drink away the situation they’re in. Leonard chose against that lifestyle and instead wants to provide for his family. He wants to lead them in the name of the Holy Spirit. He wants Alfred to go to school and be somebody. He wants to evangelize and lead others to Christ. Pray that his godly prayers are answered. Pray that this inspiring man does not falter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment