Tuesday, August 16, 2011

8/9/11 - Day Two of Teaching


Today was day two of teaching and the kids just lit up when they saw that we had kept our promise and came back to them. It was so heartwarming to see them smile and hold our hands. They were just starting to get to know my name and it’s so funny to hear them say it. “Bath Bath!” It’s Beth, but they pronounce it differently. They couldn’t pronounce Bethany right, so I decided that Beth would be good enough. I don’t mind being called either. What was amazing was when I realized how much the locals listen in on our lessons. There were these two girls who had been waving to our group all day, but at the end of the day when I was saying bye to my kids, I heard someone call out, “Beth! Beth!” I spun around to see those two local teenage girls smiling and waving, “Bye-bye!” to me. I laughed, surprised, and waved too. Earlier that day, after we had done our memory verse, I heard a woman by the next door house, chanting, “He is the wayyyy, the truuuth, and za light…no-o-one gets to zee fada except true me.” I thought to myself, wow…that’s our memory verse that this local woman just chanted in English. I wondered if she even knew how to speak English or understand what the words meant. I wanted to go up to her, but my own fear kept me grounded.It's still nice to know our impact here at camp...

No comments:

Post a Comment