Friday, August 26, 2011

American Problems

I know that when people read that title, they'll assume that I'm going to go on a rant about how spoiled Americans are. To be fair, it is true that Americans are truly spoiled, but if you think about it, American souls are far more troubled because of that. I realized this as soon as I got home and talked to my friends and neighbors. I realized this today when I went shopping and the blinking lights and neon signs were blinding me. I realized this when I was watching drama television. It was all so entertaining and distracting and busy.

Here in America, honestly, Satan doesn't even have to try. In Zambia, we could tell that Satan really wanted those children and those hardworking people and those famlies. But, as missionaries of Christ, we refused to give up on them. Satan did not win there.

And yet, we give up on ourselves here. Satan is a constant victor.

There are youth groups out there cursing, drinking, and doing drugs. There are pastors getting divorced and denying God. There are hypocrites out there that are Sunday-Only-Christians. Here in America, religion isn't a hope to most. It's a bother. And apparently, Christianity is the most annoying of all. Living here, surrounded by these troubled souls, I realize why God didn't want me or anyone else who didn't stay in Africa to move there. After all, so many of us wanted to move there. We loved the people and we just wanted to help. They needed Christ right away and they knew it too.

Here, people need Christ, but they don't know or they don't care or both. It's too much work to them. To me even, at times. Most of the time. The bible does say that we all need Christ, but my goodness, you really have to try and sell it here.

In Africa, we were missionaries of Christ. In America, we are merchants of Christ.

Can that change?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Beth...loved all the entries, but the last two address some tough, honest thoughts and questions!

    ReplyDelete